Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    I don't think they're going to 1919 Market either, but that would actually be a good reason for them to go there. It's not for nothing that another Whole Foods (South St) is on the opposite corner from Super Fresh.
    Whole Foods are often very close to TJs, they complement each other. But looks like I was wrong about 1919.

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

Any chance they'd go for the liquor license loophole in their relocation?

discoprincess is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by londoner View Post
    Are there any multi-floor whole foods anywhere else in the country? You'd need it to be roughly 2.5 floors at 55k sq/ft to arrive at a 3 acre site.
    Several of the New York City Whole Foods Markets have more than one floor (Union Square, Tribeca, Bowery, Upper West Side). Chelsea and Columbus Circle only have one level. (The Chelsea location does have a separate store for cosmetics, toiletries, and vitamins a block away from the main grocery store.)

hammersklavier is offline A Fortnight Dead

It will be in the Best Western site across the street:

Whole Foods moving Phila. museum district store to bigger site - Philadelphia Business Journal

Unrelated: What could use a 30k sf space there?
    "It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich blaring over the store's ambient stereo. Man, the movie of my life must be really low-budget." Dead Beat

Help oppose SCRUB and bring some life back to Market East! Concerned Citizens for Market East Check out my new blog, too!

New2Fishtown is offline Senior Member

Zoning notices are up on the site. 25 story tower. ZBA hearing December 19th. Anyone know what they need variances for? The site is zoned as permissively as possible, and nothing in the project description raised any flags for me in terms of uses or dimensions.

kidphilly is offline Senior Member

apparently scaled back from what was rumored

Looks like no expansion for IBX either

1919 Market Street Edges Ever Closer | NakedPhilly

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Better something then nothing..and if it adds more retail on Market st..good.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Burholme06 is offline Senior Member

Even though it's not that tall, it does have considerable girth. I like it.

The last comment made me chuckle a bit

But agree with both posters in that the retail is good and the fill is appropriate (meaning a 250 ft building filling a whole will actually go a long way

On a sort of related note I just read that Septa (which I didnt know owned the area) is basically seeling off all the land between JFK and Cherry from 22nd to the river.

Will see if I can find the post

Now any development there along with the Market lot between 22nd and 23rd would make that area of West Market dramtically different

seand is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burholme06 View Post
    Even though it's not that tall, it does have considerable girth. I like it.
    You were leaving the pun possibilities here open on purpose, right?

No office space wheee

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Three floors of retail makes up for the shortened height. It will pull more people into the area and create the foot traffic necessary to further enliven the area. Nice to see that kind of thinking from the developer (and promising that they believe it is viable).

Burholme06 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    You were leaving the pun possibilities here open on purpose, right?
    Whatever do you mean? I'm just making the point, that if this were my building, there would be no need to be embrassed at all. Height isn't everything.

New2Fishtown is offline Senior Member

The ZBA hearing for this project is today. curious to hear from anyone who attends...

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    No office space wheee
    lol did you expect any? It's not like that much has changed in the downtown commercial market since they converted liberty 2. At this point, I figure increasing residential can only help. The more smart/talented/wealthy people you move downtown, the more it drives up the desirability of the office market. There's still plenty of vacant lots left to build on.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    lol did you expect any? It's not like that much has changed in the downtown commercial market since they converted liberty 2. At this point, I figure increasing residential can only help. The more smart/talented/wealthy people you move downtown, the more it drives up the desirability of the office market. There's still plenty of vacant lots left to build on.
    Some floors of IBX space would have at least presented an illusion of some growth in the office market, even though growth of the healthcare industry is not really notable.

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    When they built the suburbs, there weren't many jobs out there either. We're so used to seeing office park after office park in the suburbs, we start to think it happened all at once, but it didn't. The usual development pattern seems to be residential -> retail -> corporate.

The office jobs will come, but they will be the last to do so.

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    When they built the suburbs, there weren't many jobs out there either. We're so used to seeing office park after office park in the suburbs, we start to think it happened all at once, but it didn't. The usual development pattern seems to be residential -> retail -> corporate.

there's no reason jobs have to come last, it's a philadelphia thing. the jobs moved out of the city more than they did in any reasonably healthy city and they're not moving back in either for the same reason. it has nothing to do with development patterns. the regional economy isn't particularly strong at the moment and for most businesses, the city is still the last place you want to be. look at the investment firms, as soon as they lowered the tax on investment firms, a couple moved in. it's not rocket science. google didn't wait for people to move back into Pittsburgh to hire a thousand people out there.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post

There is no shortage of people nor transportation options. I think your points are a bit of an excuse. The number of jobs in the Philly is inexcusable. Compare our market to SF or Boston as relative cities of the same size and relative construct. We are either 50% or 65% the number of jobs DT when you do the comparison. Actually you could even say that Boston is 100% larger if you really want to play with numbers.

We compare to Houston, the wrong model for CC unless we want to redo KOP to be a fringe city in the Houston form (Philly is not built with the infrastucture to be set up like Houston)

We have a vastly under-utilized RR system and a DT with the biggest need of commercial space- more importantly good jobs

Philly issues 1 and 1a

1 - Jobs to the core
    1a - Public Education system in the city

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

It's on again, with less commercial than before: Work starts 'immediately' on 29-story apt. tower at 1919 Market St.

On the other hand, everyone's favorite Rhode Island-based drugstore chain has signed on as a ground-floor tenant