Register
+ Reply to Thread
    bodhigan is offline Member

Question Camden to Philly: how to avoid tolls?

I need to get back to I-95 (eventually headed to Bensalem) from the City Hall in Camden (5th and Market Streets).

Last time I tried that, my GPS put me on the Ben Franklin, which cost me $4 !!! (even though I told the stupid machine to find a toll-free route).

Ben Franklin seems toll free from Philly to NJ but not the other way.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Seanibus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bodhigan View Post
    I need to get back to I-95 (eventually headed to Bensalem) from the City Hall in Camden (5th and Market Streets).

Last time I tried that, my GPS put me on the Ben Franklin, which cost me $4 !!! (even though I told the stupid machine to find a toll-free route).

Ben Franklin seems toll free from Philly to NJ but not the other way.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Good god you'd have to go up toward Trenton to avoid a $4 toll. You'd have to go to Trenton, cross on Route 1, and come back down 95. That's like 60 miles for a 20 mile trip.

The Burlington Bristol Bridge is only, what, $2. But you'd still have to pay the toll and face the long drive up there.

Pay the $4
    Owl looked at Rabbit and wondered whether to push him off the tree, but feeling that he could always do it afterward, he tried once more to find out what they were talking about.

MetalDeth81 is offline Senior Member

You can't avoid tolls all-together. All bridge crossings are tolled leaving NJ but not inbound. For reduced tolls, you can hit Rt 130 North and then take Tacony-Palmyra, or Burlington-Bristol bridge. I believe both are $2 toll instead of the $4 for the DRPA bridges (Walt Whitman, Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross).

OldMaestro is offline Members Only Jacket

There's also the Tacony which is only $2.00. You can pick up 95 at Princeton Ave not far from where you enter Philly. But seriously, is this just today or are you looking for a more permanent route? It's only 4 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDeth81 View Post
    You can't avoid tolls all-together. All bridge crossings are tolled leaving NJ but not inbound. For reduced tolls, you can hit Rt 130 North and then take Tacony-Palmyra, or Burlington-Bristol bridge. I believe both are $2 toll instead of the $4 for the DRPA bridges (Walt Whitman, Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross).
    You can if you go up to Trenton like Sean said and take the 95 bridge over. That's ludicrous though.

bodhigan is offline Member

Huh ... $4 it will have to be then. I need to get from Camden to Bensalem within a certain amount of time. Time is money, I guess.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I didnt' even consider Trenton as its so far out of the way. Easily more $ in gas mileage than the tolls you'd be saving. Plus a headache in general

dontforget is offline Member

Huh ... $4 it will have to be then. I need to get from Camden to Bensalem within a certain amount of time. Time is money, I guess.

Thanks guys.
    Since you are going to Bensalem, I'd suggest Tacony Palmyra for $2. It wouldn't be too out of the way, taking 130 to 73 to TP bridge to Princeton Ave to I-95N.

Quote Originally Posted by dontforget View Post
    Since you are going to Bensalem, I'd suggest Tacony Palmyra for $2. It wouldn't be too out of the way, taking 130 to 73 to TP bridge to Princeton Ave to I-95N.
    You're risking a bridge opening though if time is of importance like the OP mentioned.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

I know how to get across the river.

You're not allowed on the Coastie boat though, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

y.lama is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    I know how to get across the river.

You're not allowed on the Coastie boat though, sorry
    HA - I wish I had the little motorboat. I work in Camden and live in Philly. I can see my work from home and vice versa - but everyday it's still $4 and sometimes up to 25min each way from one to the other.

BeckyJ is offline Professor Ornery

Thanks guys.
    If you're driving this on a regular basis, get an EZ Pass. No discount, but at least you don't have to have cash on hand.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are. -- B. Banzai

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    HA - I wish I had the little motorboat. I work in Camden and live in Philly. I can see my work from home and vice versa - but everyday it's still $4 and sometimes up to 25min each way from one to the other.
    Tacony, that's not THAT far out of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

+1 for Tacony-Palmyra... You'll avoid the cluster-f%$k that is the 95 exit/merge between the Ben Franklin Br and Girard Ave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    Tacony, that's not THAT far out of the way.
    I live in center city and work next to the aquarium - that would be WAY out of the way. On the bad days where I get up to the 25 minutes it's because I hit the lights in Camden and Center City which I would hit no matter what Bridge I took. I'm doing reverse commute - the Ben Franklin is the easy part of the drive.

gren is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    I live in center city and work next to the aquarium - that would be WAY out of the way. On the bad days where I get up to the 25 minutes it's because I hit the lights in Camden and Center City which I would hit no matter what Bridge I took. I'm doing reverse commute - the Ben Franklin is the easy part of the drive.
    Might I ask why you wouldn't take PATCO?

Burholme06 is offline Senior Member

^^ What he said. I'm curious also.

It would be $2.50 round trip - no tolls, no gas, no parking, etc.
    Last edited by Burholme06; 02-28-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    Might I ask why you wouldn't take PATCO?
    Probably important to say that I live on Fitzwater Street so when I say center city I'm extending a bit but.....

I do take Patco some days alot in the spring summer and fall. The comparison goes like this:

driving to work = 15min (my all time best time) to 25min (all time worse time on a normal day - no accidents just hitting every light and traffic)

taking train = almost 10min walk to Patco + time waiting for train + 10min on Patco + 10min walk down Federal Street in camden = avg of 35min. Once I get a new bike it will become = 2.5min bike to Patco + time waiting for train + 10min on Patco + 2.5min bike down Federal = avg of 20min.

From November to March going down Federal Street in Camden can be coldest windiest experience you could ever imagine - don't make fun of this point unless you've experienced it first hand. Even from our parking lot which is 1 block away it's almost unbearable some days, and after 5 years in the building I've never met anyone that's gotten used to it. The solution of course is to take the river line but this is more time waiting for another train which I'm too stubborn to do.

I know it sounds like I'm complaining a lot, but in the grand scheme of things I'm happy with my commute and it could be much worse (like when I used to go from Philly to Pottstown everyday) this started because I was just making a joke about wishing I had a boat.

Patco made a lot more sense when I didn't have a designated parking spot in Philly and lived right near locust street - I could leave my car at the secured lot in Camden, and not have to circle for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot in Philly. Now though I do have a designated parking spot.

Stripped is offline Member

There's a discount.. Just need to "subscribe" -- for lack of a better word -- to one of their commuter plans. Check out the DRPA EZ Pass site or call them. (I assume it may depend on where your EZ-PASS was issued.)