Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RittenhouseGirl is offline Senior Member

Question Can't get channel 6 in Center City

Since the conversion to digital programming, I have been unable to get channel 6 in my area. Has anyone else experienced this?

This wasn't a problem when the channels were analog.

eldondre is offline Moderator

its not juat center city but all over the country. abc uses a different frequency and no one without a rooftop antenna seems to be able to get it. thats what ive found in my online research.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Seanibus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    its not juat center city but all over the country. abc uses a different frequency and no one without a rooftop antenna seems to be able to get it. thats what ive found in my online research.
    yes, I remember a lot of talk about problems with the 6 signal when the conversion happened. I never heard what the resolution of the problem was (if there was), but it was an issue all over the region.
    Owl looked at Rabbit and wondered whether to push him off the tree, but feeling that he could always do it afterward, he tried once more to find out what they were talking about.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

I haven't tried very hard to fix it (nothing to watch) but my digital box skips over channel 6 as well. I don't have a rooftop antenna, just rabbit ears. I'm in South Philly.

ACG
    ACG is offline Senior Member

I just have rabbit ears too with the digital converter and I can not get channel 6 (ABC) or 12 (WHYY). A number of ABC shows can be found on Hulu (love Modern Family!). I do get a PBS channel - 23 NJN out of New Jersey - just not the one that is broadcasting from a few blocks away.

Has anyone who also uses rabbit ears seem to be having more difficulty getting channel 3 (CBS) in good? Just recently the signal seems more temperamental.

Seanibus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    I haven't tried very hard to fix it (nothing to watch) but my digital box skips over channel 6 as well. I don't have a rooftop antenna, just rabbit ears. I'm in South Philly.
    You guys might try calling Channel 6 - they may have some technical advice. Even if not, they might appreciate knowing where there are dead zones in the broadcast area so their engineers can figure out what's going on.
    Owl looked at Rabbit and wondered whether to push him off the tree, but feeling that he could always do it afterward, he tried once more to find out what they were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by ACG View Post
    I just have rabbit ears too with the digital converter and I can not get channel 6 (ABC) or 12 (WHYY). A number of ABC shows can be found on Hulu (love Modern Family!). I do get a PBS channel - 23 NJN out of New Jersey - just not the one that is broadcasting from a few blocks away.

Has anyone who also uses rabbit ears seem to be having more difficulty getting channel 3 (CBS) in good? Just recently the signal seems more temperamental.
    I also have the rabbit ears and converter box. Up until recently, I couldn't even get channels 3 and 12. I redid an autoscan and just got these channels in.

Unfortunately, I can't catch One Life to Live until the next day on the net

This makes sense! Thank you!

Gladys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seanibus View Post
    You guys might try calling Channel 6 - they may have some technical advice. Even if not, they might appreciate knowing where there are dead zones in the broadcast area so their engineers can figure out what's going on.
    that's the only thing you can do. and i would call them. Other wise you can watch the local news streaming online or most abc shows from their site or hulu. just not live.

iheartphilly is offline Senior Member

I'd heard of the problems, but thankfully still receive all channels in my basic Comcast package. I'm in Bella Vista & to my knowledge, my neighbors on the street receive everything too. No rabbit ears or antennae. Calling Ch. 6 is a great idea - they WANT your viewership.

LOL. Less than 20 minutes after posting the above, my cable went out. No news on when it'll be back.
    Last edited by iheartphilly; 01-24-2011 at 02:48 PM.

eldondre is offline Moderator

obv they dont want our viewership since the problem has yet to be resolvex. at this point i dont even know whats on their channel. i dont have any issues with the other stations. i have an auto adjusting antenna
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

radiocolin is offline Senior Member

obv they dont want our viewership since the problem has yet to be resolvex. at this point i dont even know whats on their channel. i dont have any issues with the other stations. i have an auto adjusting antenna
    All of the new stations use UHF frequencies for digital broadcasting. The exception is channel 6. Because of the way the chips fell, it wound up staying stuck in the VHF band.

Here's WPVI's page on the issue: DTV Transition Help for over-the-air digital television consumers | 6abc.com

Politburo is offline Senior Member

WHYY is also VHF, but they are in VHF-HI which is slightly better than VHF-LO where WPVI is.

szekely is offline Senior Member

It's like radiocolin and others said: ABC really didn't have a choice. They got bumped from UHF to VHF and since then, you can't pick them up with rabbit ears, even HDTV ones. I thought I was so clever getting an HDTV-ready TV and antenna instead of cable, and while that did get rid of "ghosting" images, the party was over when analog was phased out. ABC has since quadrupled the power of their signal, but I still ended up having to go to a pub to watch the end of "Lost." Come to think of it, maybe it would have been better to watch the "No Signal" message on my screen. :-)

I'm having trouble getting the 3 WHYY channels this winter. I have to stand or sit near the antenna and if I move, I lose the signal. Maybe it's time to sign up for cable and address the nightmare known as home-rigged wiring in my house.

I wanted to ask a follow-up question ...

I was thinking if I really wanted to catch my soap live, I could listen to channel 6 on the FM dial. When I was a kid, they were on the dial, but I have a public satellite radio app on my android now, and it doesn't list channel 6. Are they no longer on FM either?

radiocolin is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RittenhouseGirl View Post
    I wanted to ask a follow-up question ...

I was thinking if I really wanted to catch my soap live, I could listen to channel 6 on the FM dial. When I was a kid, they were on the dial, but I have a public satellite radio app on my android now, and it doesn't list channel 6. Are they no longer on FM either?
    Channel 6 being on the FM dial was a side effect of the way the television band was structured. Analog channel 6's audio stream fell right at the bottom of the FM dial, at 87.7 FM. This is no longer the case after the digital TV transition.

Braveheart is offline Mismember

With rabbit ears we get all three 6 channels but not 3 despite running scans often, and we're out of sight of the Roxy
    towers low behind a big hill.

Quote Originally Posted by radiocolin View Post
    Channel 6 being on the FM dial was a side effect of the way the television band was structured. Analog channel 6's audio stream fell right at the bottom of the FM dial, at 87.7 FM. This is no longer the case after the digital TV transition.
    Thanks for the info! Well, guess I'm stuck in no man's land for 6 except for internet videos of shows.

Lyte233 is offline Member

I live in SW and was actually getting Ch 6 for weeks until about Sunday when i coudn't get it at all. I have the converter box and found a perfect place to get 6 as well as 12. Now the only way i can pick it up is if I hold it and fiddle with the antennae. If I put it down and walk away no picture. Quite annoying.

MisterT is offline Senior Member

I never noticed this until I tried to watch the Academy Awards and didn't get the channel. It's odd, rather than saying "No signal" or staying black, I get old fashioned fuzz on the screen. Oh well, if in 6 months of having no cable I only noticed it once I can't be missing much.