Register
+ Reply to Thread
    chudclay is offline Senior Member

Default cast iron radiators

I am looking for (7) used cast iron radiators in good working order. Does anyone have any leads as to where these can be affordably purchased?

Pitboss is offline Banned

I need a low long one also and found a local plumbing contractor that sells any size for $60- each. Last I was there they
    had a bunch. If you're serious PM me with phone or call around. The typical baseboard heaters just don't put the heat out.

Mayfair101 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss View Post
    I need a low long one also and found a local plumbing contractor that sells any size for $60- each. Last I was there they
    had a bunch. If you're serious PM me with phone or call around. The typical baseboard heaters just don't put the heat out.
    If you could PM me with info Id appreciate it we too need 3 or 4 new radiators..

StrangeTanks is offline Senior Member

I get my radiators from a spanish fella on Huntington and Mascher. Pretty much all he does is buy and sell radiators. I forget the name of the business, but he sells em for about $7 per section. Nice part is he usually has a pretty good selection and is always getting more in.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeTanks View Post
    I get my radiators from a spanish fella on Huntington and Mascher. Pretty much all he does is buy and sell radiators. I forget the name of the business, but he sells em for about $7 per section. Nice part is he usually has a pretty good selection and is always getting more in.
    Do you mean he disassembles them and sells the sections, or is a section the complete radiator? I looked in my guys
    lot a short while ago and either they were moved or sold.

No they are regular ole radiators that have been pulled out of houses and sold to him. He doesn't take them apart, but he sorta checks them out to make sure they arn't cracked or broken.

stock is offline Senior Member

That would be Mr. Ortiz 267.278.9453, radiator king.

I have 5 fancy ones also at https://www.facebook.com/phillysalvage

Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

No they are regular ole radiators that have been pulled out of houses and sold to him. He doesn't take them apart, but he sorta checks them out to make sure they arn't cracked or broken.
    Thanks for the tip, can't beat that price. Thanks for the number Stock.

Yup! Mr. Ortiz! He's actually a pretty interesting character.

There is also a powder coating company right off of 95 and cottman ave. I took a fancy one there a couple years ago, they sandblasted the hell out of it and powder coated it for about $100. It really came out awesome! From what I understand of the process, the price varies a lot depending on what color you want. If they are running your color its cheaper because its a lot of work to switch.

Yup! Mr. Ortiz! He's actually a pretty interesting character.

There is also a powder coating company right off of 95 and cottman ave. I took a fancy one there a couple years ago, they sandblasted the hell out of it and powder coated it for about $100. It really came out awesome! From what I understand of the process, the price varies a lot depending on what color you want. If they are running your color its cheaper because its a lot of work to switch.
    Even if it's a plain one a nice color powdercoat can make it killer. With winter coming I installed fin baseboard in the
    rebuilt rear of the house but now I want to change over to cast. I like the plain square ones too since you can top it
    with a nice piece of granite or marble.

Couldn't agree more Pitboss, The square at the best IMO because of that reason. They have some that appear rounded, but have detailed mini fins that come off the top of the main fins that create a square surface but you still get the details. Harder to find, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss View Post
    Even if it's a plain one a nice color powdercoat can make it killer. With winter coming I installed fin baseboard in the
    rebuilt rear of the house but now I want to change over to cast. I like the plain square ones too since you can top it
    with a nice piece of granite or marble.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

- Benjamin Franklin

gideon is offline Senior Member

Great stuff Chris! I'm jealous! I do some woodworking, trying to get more "into it", been selling a little here and there.

If you get a chance, have a look at my etsy shop - link is in my signature line.

chudclay is offline Senior Member

F.Y.I
    I went to Mr. Ortiz and purchased 3 radiators. After testing with air, I found that one of the radiators was cracked, which only can happen if the radiator was not tested. This said, his prices are very high for so-so quality. He does not test his radiators past visual or verbal (from the prior owners) inspection. Keep those receipts!

1859Dame is offline Senior Member

Default cast iron radiator installation

Would appreciate referrals for radiator testing/cleaning/installation; I've collected 14 cast iron to replace the existing 1950's, inefficient, box radiators - and pulled two earlier this summer with this goal (restored walls/baseboards behind, etc).

1. Testing - understand "air" the best to learn of possible leaks/cracks. Do you plug one end then use an air compressor to "listen" for leaks? Mind you, the compressor is so noisy...good luck hearing any "hisses" from the radiator.
    2. If one passes the test, understand sand blasting to remove old paint can potentially harm the joints between the fins. Is this true and should chemicals be used instead to remove older paint?
    3. Most important - does anyone have a plumber or HVAC recommendation for the installation? I had a quote of approx $500 per radiator for installation, alone - and thought it a bit high. The plumber's rep also had zero experience doing so, and hence I was not too confident with this co.

Mind you, these weigh +/- 200 lbs each and not easy for me to maneuver for points 1 & 2, much less carry from the basement to third floor for the first two (of 14) replacements!!!

Thanks!!!

Nice, very modern. That's totally in right now.

FYI, I just bought a bandsaw from the 1930's for resawing old joists. Should have some in a week or so. I also have about 10,000 board feet or rough reclaimed joists, beams, flooring etc... all ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gideon View Post
    Great stuff Chris! I'm jealous! I do some woodworking, trying to get more "into it", been selling a little here and there.

If you get a chance, have a look at my etsy shop - link is in my signature line.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

- Benjamin Franklin

jennyL is offline Junior Member

Is it more convenient if you can buy it by section?

seand is online now Senior Member

Second this. Good guy.

For the life of me I can't remember his name. Its one of those very common Spanish sir names. Mr. Ortiz, maybe?

Edit: I see someone else already remembered his name.
    Last edited by seand; 10-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jennyL View Post
    Is it more convenient if you can buy it by section?
    If you are buying new (which some people do at incredible expense, actually) but once those sections have been oxidizing into a single fused unit for 40 or 50 years, you are going to crack the cast iron before you pull them apart.

In terms of Mr. Ortiz, I bought ~20 radiators from him, cleaned and painted them and one leaked when I brought the system up to pressure. He put that one on the broken pile and gave me credit for a suitable replacement.
    Last edited by seand; 10-10-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chudclay View Post
    F.Y.I
    I went to Mr. Ortiz and purchased 3 radiators. After testing with air, I found that one of the radiators was cracked, which only can happen if the radiator was not tested. This said, his prices are very high for so-so quality. He does not test his radiators past visual or verbal (from the prior owners) inspection. Keep those receipts!
    I also went to a guy near Upper Darby High School who had a smaller lot and charged 25% more and still also didn't pressure test, so I don't think Mr. Ortiz's price is too high. I had no problem getting an exchange for one that did not hold pressure, I think without a receipt, but I came back like a week later and he remembered me.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Neat how a spambot pops open a 2 year old thread and garners 3 new replies almost instantly. Maybe that's why Malloy rarely bothers deleting the spambots these days when I report them. I've reported wenchdeal at least 4 or 5 times in recent days. This spambot takes contents from the thread, transmogrifies it, then reposts:
    Quote Originally Posted by WenchDeal View Post
    No they are consistent old radiators that have been hauled out of houses and sold to him. He doesn't disassemble them, however he sorta looks at them to determine they aren't broken or broken.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin