Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. #1
    eldondre is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    20,545

    Default 10% of Philadelphians walk to work


    the data seems to confirm the obvious, the people who live near job centers (or class) are the most likely to walk to work
    PlanPhilly | Only 10 percent of Philadelphians walk or bike to work
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  2. #2
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    What is the blotch in the NE?

  3. #3
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    What is the blotch in the NE?
    Northeast Airport.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  4. #4
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Northeast Airport.
    My bad. I meant the red blotch.

  5. #5
    Hospitalitygirl's Avatar
    Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Miss Mannersville
    Posts
    14,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    My bad. I meant the red blotch.
    Based on location I think that is the former Frankford Arsenal.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

  6. #6
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    And looking at West Philly and Lower North, I wonder how many of those numbers are just college students.

    The graphic in of itself doesn't really seem to shed much info.

  7. #7
    Debbie1125's Avatar
    Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    I wish I was in that 10%.

  8. #8
    Colin P. Varga is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    And looking at West Philly and Lower North, I wonder how many of those numbers are just college students.

    The graphic in of itself doesn't really seem to shed much info.
    "Just college students" meaning they are not staff at any University?

    I think if you look you will find that a large part of staff (people working) at these Universities walk or bike to work. U. of Penn has promoted W. Philly as a place for its staff to live.
    Goodnight Rossana Arquette whereever you are.

  9. #9
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin P. Varga View Post
    "Just college students" meaning they are not staff at any University?

    I think if you look you will find that a large part of staff (people working) at these Universities walk or bike to work. U. of Penn has promoted W. Philly as a place for its staff to live.
    And that is why the front part of what you quoted said "I wonder how many...". That is why I said the graphic in of itself doesn't show much. If 90% of those numbers (and since they are using percentage, it doesn't really mean all that much either. 60% of 10 employees is different than 60% of 1000 employees).

    If those areas are 80+% walk to work, but nearly all of them are college kids working at the wawa on campus, it isn't that impressive than say 80% of the doctors working at Presbyterian Hospital walking to work.

    Overlaying it with salary breakdowns and actual numbers would do the graphic a lot more justice.
    Last edited by raider.adam; 03-08-2013 at 10:00 AM.

  10. #10
    Colin P. Varga is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    And that is why the front part of what you quoted said "I wonder how many...". That is why I said the graphic in of itself doesn't show much. If 90% of those numbers (and since they are using percentage, it doesn't really mean all that much either. 60% of 10 employees is different than 60% of 1000 employees).

    If those areas are 80+% walk to work, but nearly all of them are college kids working at the wawa on campus, it isn't that impressive than say 80% of the doctors working at Presbyterian Hospital walking to work.

    Overlaying it with salary breakdowns and actual numbers would do the graphic a lot more justice.
    Hmmm.

    I was just thinking of people working.

    You were thinking of the type of job.

    I kinda hate to say this. Is this the Democrat / GOP divide?

    Someone in an upper tax bracket is more valuable as a walker or cyclist?

    The kid working at the Wawa could be going to med. school. Or anybody working at a Wawa could also have a second job as an EMT.
    Goodnight Rossana Arquette whereever you are.

  11. #11
    NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germantown
    Posts
    605

    Default

    I'd be more interested in a map that showed percentage of people that commute to work without driving. I take Regional Rail, but I almost never drive.

  12. #12
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin P. Varga View Post
    Hmmm.

    I was just thinking of people working.

    You were thinking of the type of job.

    I kinda hate to say this. Is this the Democrat / GOP divide?

    Someone in an upper tax bracket is more valuable as a walker or cyclist?

    The kid working at the Wawa could be going to med. school. Or anybody working at a Wawa could also have a second job as an EMT.
    Wow, way to really over read into something to make something up. I think it says much less about Dem/GOP divide and more about you...

    You don't think it is at all relevant on how certain people get to work? It is important because it leads to a variety of very important questions. For instance:

    If the vast majority of people who are walking to work are low income wage earners, is it a signal of them being more conscientious or because their lack of mobility (not affording the ownership of a reliable car) is locking them into a limited choice of jobs?

    If the vast majority of people walking to work in an area are simply college kids that live on or around campus, but all of the professionals still drive in, is it because there are a lack of professionals qualified in the area around the business? Is it because people don't feel comfortable walking in the area? Is there a lack of residential?

    You don't think it is at all important to know if people are walking to work simply because they can't afford another option or if the people have the means to, but choose to walk anyway?

  13. #13
    Geno's Avatar
    Geno is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mt. Airy
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Based on location I think that is the former Frankford Arsenal.
    That's purple. He may mean the purplish red blotch right behind Burholme Park. Maybe that has to do with Fox Chase Cancer Center or Jeanes Hospital.

  14. #14
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    I am referring to the blotch on the River.

  15. #15
    Brian616's Avatar
    Brian616 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Havertown
    Posts
    994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    I am referring to the blotch on the River.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe it's just a small sample size issue?

  16. #16
    Colin P. Varga is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,254

    Default

    You could have just answered, "No, it isn't."

    When you said "just" college students it seemed that you implied that they were only students and nothing more.

    "Certain" people? Did you mean 47%? Adam, why not just say "people". Oy vey. This is why the GOP is having such a hard time.

    Frankly, from the map it looks like people in low income areas are not walking or biking. From the map it looks like people (or certain people) around universities, hospitals, financial institutions (CC), Chestnut Hill Presidential Apts, and Mt. Vernon Cemetery? walk and bike more than others.

    I think your questions are valid. I think for bicycle commuters the main issues are: parking, distance, commute time. I don't think many cyclists are actually motivated by conscientiousness. Frankly, I didn't know any cyclists who were when I biked to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    Wow, way to really over read into something to make something up. I think it says much less about Dem/GOP divide and more about you...

    You don't think it is at all relevant on how certain people get to work? It is important because it leads to a variety of very important questions. For instance:

    If the vast majority of people who are walking to work are low income wage earners, is it a signal of them being more conscientious or because their lack of mobility (not affording the ownership of a reliable car) is locking them into a limited choice of jobs?

    If the vast majority of people walking to work in an area are simply college kids that live on or around campus, but all of the professionals still drive in, is it because there are a lack of professionals qualified in the area around the business? Is it because people don't feel comfortable walking in the area? Is there a lack of residential?

    You don't think it is at all important to know if people are walking to work simply because they can't afford another option or if the people have the means to, but choose to walk anyway?
    Goodnight Rossana Arquette whereever you are.

  17. #17
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,086

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin P. Varga View Post
    You could have just answered, "No, it isn't."

    When you said "just" college students it seemed that you implied that they were only students and nothing more.

    "Certain" people? Did you mean 47%? Adam, why not just say "people". Oy vey. This is why the GOP is having such a hard time.
    Are you intentionally trying to be a jerk?

  18. #18
    Geno's Avatar
    Geno is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mt. Airy
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    I am referring to the blotch on the River.
    That's the riverfront from Pennypack Creek to around the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. Not many people live there.

  19. #19
    niel is offline PB transplant
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairmount
    Posts
    1,198

    Default

    It's a valid question. But then you also have to ask about where people live in relation to where they work. It seems to me that living close to work has become an option more likely to be available to the privileged. Since CC is clearly the epicenter of walkability in that map, and most of the neighborhoods in & around it are fairly well-off, being underprivileged in Philly means pretty much the opposite of what you suggest, Adam - not being able to walk.

    Now, biking should be an option for a much larger range of city neighborhoods. I wonder if this map would look much different if you broke out the biking from the walking.

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    You don't think it is at all important to know if people are walking to work simply because they can't afford another option or if the people have the means to, but choose to walk anyway?

  20. #20
    eldondre is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    20,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niel View Post
    It's a valid question. But then you also have to ask about where people live in relation to where they work. It seems to me that living close to work has become an option more likely to be available to the privileged. Since CC is clearly the epicenter of walkability in that map, and most of the neighborhoods in & around it are fairly well-off, being underprivileged in Philly means pretty much the opposite of what you suggest, Adam - not being able to walk.

    Now, biking should be an option for a much larger range of city neighborhoods. I wonder if this map would look much different if you broke out the biking from the walking.
    it also highlights the lack of job centers in NW, N, and NE Philadelphia
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2