Register
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,425

    Default Campaign aims to keep Philly police headquarters around


  2. #2
    eldondre is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    19,653

    Default

    it's not a functional design," he said. "It was modern for its time, but the rooms were actually cut into pie-shaped rooms so they weren't very functional. As the police department grew bigger, the building really started to become cramped."
    so long as they knock down the walls facing the sidewalk and alter the building such that it 's a functional part of the city, then they can save it.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  3. #3
    NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Germantown
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Of all the building of this era, I do not mind this one. It's certainly intriguing. This is not to say though that PPD should not move to 46th and Market in West Philly, pronto.

  4. #4
    Titus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    so long as they knock down the walls facing the sidewalk and alter the building such that it 's a functional part of the city, then they can save it.
    I agree - the walls are offensive, but the building is visually interesting and, pace any plans to build a real masterpiece on there site, I hope it stays.

  5. #5
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I agree - the walls are offensive, but the building is visually interesting and, pace any plans to build a real masterpiece on there site, I hope it stays.
    I hope the land gets repurposed relatively quickly, whether it is reusing the building or building something new. I don't think it is significant enough to be mandatory for it to remain.

  6. #6
    mixiboi's Avatar
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    9,073

    Default

    They did a ok job with the hospital across the street..they can do something with that building too..
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

  7. #7
    MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner
    Posts
    628

    Default

    Since it looks like handcuffs and the swinger place on south Street closed....maybe an S and M club.

  8. #8
    CityMaps is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    so long as they knock down the walls facing the sidewalk and alter the building such that it 's a functional part of the city, then they can save it.
    Agreed. Good architecture, terrible urban design.

    Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    They did a ok job with the hospital across the street..they can do something with that building too..
    They did OK with re-cladding and re-using it, but it still turns its back on the park with a parking lot. Granted, the park wasn't what it is now when they renovated, but I'd hope for more from Roundhouse 2.0.

  9. #9
    Cro Burnham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    831

    Default

    street life killer. would love to see it replaced with something that actually fills out the block. one thing that area does not need more of is extra open space. it needs street walls and street amenities.

    if the facade is made of modular structural components, possibly it could be disassembled and reconstituted in a more appropriate setting elsewhere, say king of prussia or maybe even a college campus.

    pros: innovative structural concept. period. cons: awful architecture. awful urban planning. in other words, typical mid 20th century urban redevelopment. about as inspiring as soviet or fascist architecture from the same era.

  10. #10
    OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,284

    Default

    I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do. If an architect does a poor job of addressing the needs of the client, but manages to incorporate a couple of gimmick design elements, then he's done a poor job of being an architect. It's like saying "He's a brilliant chef, even if the food he makes gives everyone crippling diarrhea."

  11. #11
    Titus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do. If an architect does a poor job of addressing the needs of the client, but manages to incorporate a couple of gimmick design elements, then he's done a poor job of being an architect. It's like saying "He's a brilliant chef, even if the food he makes gives everyone crippling diarrhea."
    Well that's the "form follows function" theory of modernism in architecture. But sometimes, not necessarily in this case, something can simply be beautiful and worth saving because it is beautiful even if the function element isn't great.

  12. #12
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Well that's the "form follows function" theory of modernism in architecture. But sometimes, not necessarily in this case, something can simply be beautiful and worth saving because it is beautiful even if the function element isn't great.
    We're still talking about the police HQ?

  13. #13
    Titus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    We're still talking about the police HQ?
    Apparently, but I was responding to this general question - "I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do"

  14. #14
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Apparently, but I was responding to this general question - "I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do"
    Sorry, was just making a cheeky comment about the building being beautiful.

  15. #15
    Naveen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    East Falls
    Posts
    1,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
    street life killer. would love to see it replaced with something that actually fills out the block. one thing that area does not need more of is extra open space. it needs street walls and street amenities.

    if the facade is made of modular structural components, possibly it could be disassembled and reconstituted in a more appropriate setting elsewhere, say king of prussia or maybe even a college campus.

    pros: innovative structural concept. period. cons: awful architecture. awful urban planning. in other words, typical mid 20th century urban redevelopment. about as inspiring as soviet or fascist architecture from the same era.
    Agreed. The surface lots surrounding it and dead space would have to be repurposed in some creative way to encourage pedestrian use. A very tall order.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2