Register
+ Reply to Thread
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Default Campaign aims to keep Philly police headquarters around

eldondre is online now Moderator

it's not a functional design," he said. "It was modern for its time, but the rooms were actually cut into pie-shaped rooms so they weren't very functional. As the police department grew bigger, the building really started to become cramped."
    so long as they knock down the walls facing the sidewalk and alter the building such that it 's a functional part of the city, then they can save it.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

Of all the building of this era, I do not mind this one. It's certainly intriguing. This is not to say though that PPD should not move to 46th and Market in West Philly, pronto.

Titus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    so long as they knock down the walls facing the sidewalk and alter the building such that it 's a functional part of the city, then they can save it.
    I agree - the walls are offensive, but the building is visually interesting and, pace any plans to build a real masterpiece on there site, I hope it stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I agree - the walls are offensive, but the building is visually interesting and, pace any plans to build a real masterpiece on there site, I hope it stays.
    I hope the land gets repurposed relatively quickly, whether it is reusing the building or building something new. I don't think it is significant enough to be mandatory for it to remain.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

They did a ok job with the hospital across the street..they can do something with that building too..
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Since it looks like handcuffs and the swinger place on south Street closed....maybe an S and M club.

CityMaps is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    Agreed. Good architecture, terrible urban design.

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    They did a ok job with the hospital across the street..they can do something with that building too..
    They did OK with re-cladding and re-using it, but it still turns its back on the park with a parking lot. Granted, the park wasn't what it is now when they renovated, but I'd hope for more from Roundhouse 2.0.

Cro Burnham is offline Senior Member

street life killer. would love to see it replaced with something that actually fills out the block. one thing that area does not need more of is extra open space. it needs street walls and street amenities.

if the facade is made of modular structural components, possibly it could be disassembled and reconstituted in a more appropriate setting elsewhere, say king of prussia or maybe even a college campus.

pros: innovative structural concept. period. cons: awful architecture. awful urban planning. in other words, typical mid 20th century urban redevelopment. about as inspiring as soviet or fascist architecture from the same era.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do. If an architect does a poor job of addressing the needs of the client, but manages to incorporate a couple of gimmick design elements, then he's done a poor job of being an architect. It's like saying "He's a brilliant chef, even if the food he makes gives everyone crippling diarrhea."

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do. If an architect does a poor job of addressing the needs of the client, but manages to incorporate a couple of gimmick design elements, then he's done a poor job of being an architect. It's like saying "He's a brilliant chef, even if the food he makes gives everyone crippling diarrhea."
    Well that's the "form follows function" theory of modernism in architecture. But sometimes, not necessarily in this case, something can simply be beautiful and worth saving because it is beautiful even if the function element isn't great.

Well that's the "form follows function" theory of modernism in architecture. But sometimes, not necessarily in this case, something can simply be beautiful and worth saving because it is beautiful even if the function element isn't great.
    We're still talking about the police HQ?

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    We're still talking about the police HQ?
    Apparently, but I was responding to this general question - "I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do"

Apparently, but I was responding to this general question - "I don't understand the defense of architecture on aesthetic grounds if it sucks at what it was commissioned and built (with public money) to do"
    Sorry, was just making a cheeky comment about the building being beautiful.

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
    street life killer. would love to see it replaced with something that actually fills out the block. one thing that area does not need more of is extra open space. it needs street walls and street amenities.

if the facade is made of modular structural components, possibly it could be disassembled and reconstituted in a more appropriate setting elsewhere, say king of prussia or maybe even a college campus.

pros: innovative structural concept. period. cons: awful architecture. awful urban planning. in other words, typical mid 20th century urban redevelopment. about as inspiring as soviet or fascist architecture from the same era.
    Agreed. The surface lots surrounding it and dead space would have to be repurposed in some creative way to encourage pedestrian use. A very tall order.