Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    billy ross is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCnPhilly View Post
    A week ago they had the inflatable rat out here, with a whopping three protesters. Today two of them have a sign reading, "Shame on POST for destroying our community." I don't know if they're message is clear. Passerby's see that message attached to a building in desperate need of renovation, and the protesters just come off as insane. I'm glad to see it hasn't phased development.
    They were out in front of Park Drive Manor on Rittenhouse Street in Germantown last week complaining about Post Brothers. I had thought it was regarding what they are doing at that site.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

I can't remember if this has been posted or not.

What the hell is that on top of the building?
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

MTEMPLE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    What the hell is that on top of the building?
    The cover for the pool / lounge area.

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

They are really coming along with this building. It looks like its almost completely gutted. The other day I saw some people working on the viaduct behind the building. Outdoor space for the apartment building? That would be hot.

Radical Ed is offline Public Nuisance

That's the old Goldtex Textiles building. I emptied many a beer on the roof of that dump.

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd..."
    "...Smiling."

Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ed View Post
    That's the old Goldtex Textiles building. I emptied many a beer on the roof of that dump.
    I can't even imagine what that place must have smelled like. There was a colony of homeless squatters living in it.

Insoluble is offline Senior Member

An update of sorts (along with another rendering):

With Goldtex Rising Above Viaduct, Some Insights On Real Estate | Hidden City Philadelphia

Sadly it looks as though they may be maintaining a surface parking lot.

eldondre is online now Moderator

they talk about a dearth of conversion candidates but there are at least a couple within a few blocks including the independence press building. too bad no one wants to convert the cluster of buildings around broad and lehigh.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    they talk about a dearth of conversion candidates but there are at least a couple within a few blocks including the independence press building. too bad no one wants to convert the cluster of buildings around broad and lehigh.
    Give it time. Like I've said before, Broad and Lehigh today is like Broad and Spring Garden in years gone past. Desolate, and a few blocks past civilization. The line keeps moving north. It was at Vine Street. It was at Spring Garden Street. Now it's probably around Fairmount Avenue. Soon it'll be at Girard. Once it jumps past Girard, though, it'll need to go all the way up to Susquehanna or beyond, since Temple is taking care of what is in between, and the area around Temple's campus is getting pretty nice at this point. From Susquehanna it's only five blocks to Lehigh, and Lehigh is a much more natural border than Susquehanna, which is only a placeholder and will stop nothing. We may even be at the point where the redevelopment marches north from Center City and both north and south from Temple's main campus at the same time.

Just as this is the decade for Market East, this is also the decade for North Philly. North Philly is historically nicer than South Philly, and I see that reasserting itself.
    Last edited by billy ross; 04-18-2012 at 12:48 PM.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

now we just need a north side render
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    Give it time. Like I've said before, Broad and Lehigh today is like Broad and Spring Garden in years gone past. Desolate, and a few blocks past civilization. The line keeps moving north. It was at Vine Street. It was at Spring Garden Street. Now it's probably around Fairmount Avenue. Soon it'll be at Girard. Once it jumps past Girard, though, it'll need to go all the way up to Susquehanna or beyond, since Temple is taking care of what is in between, and the area around Temple's campus is getting pretty nice at this point. From Susquehanna it's only five blocks to Lehigh, and Lehigh is a much more natural border than Susquehanna, which is only a placeholder and will stop nothing. We may even be at the point where the redevelopment marches north from Center City and both north and south from Temple's main campus at the same time.

Just as this is the decade for Market East, this is also the decade for North Philly. North Philly is historically nicer than South Philly, and I see that reasserting itself.
    it's much larger. those buildings don't have forever. I'd love to see the one adjacent to the north philly stop on the Rlate renovated, perhaps to even house a business and maybe a ticket office for amtrak and septa (maybe that building will be renovated sooner than those two working together).
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    it's much larger. those buildings don't have forever. I'd love to see the one adjacent to the north philly stop on the Rlate renovated, perhaps to even house a business and maybe a ticket office for amtrak and septa (maybe that building will be renovated sooner than those two working together).
    Harlem
    U Street
    North Philly

The third one is late to the party. Still, it's the most happening part of Philadelphia right now outside the traditional bounds of Center City, from the standpoint of neighborhood development.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    Harlem
    U Street
    North Philly

The third one is late to the party. Still, it's the most happening part of Philadelphia right now outside the traditional bounds of Center City, from the standpoint of neighborhood development.
    It'll happen if the NIMBYs and Clarke behave. The fact that we're late to the game might not be a bad thing. I'm not too familiar with Harlem but U Street shot its wad early and it took a while to really succeed. There is still a lot of interneighborhood hostility, especially on 14th Street. Slow and steady saved a lot of Philadelphia from the housing crash. It's causing developers in other cities to exercise a level of caution we're ignoring here, which so far seems like a good thing.

CallowHood is offline Junior Member

Developer Accuses Unions of Dirty Tricks
    Courthouse News Service

Quote Originally Posted by CallowHood View Post
    Developer Accuses Unions of Dirty Tricks
    Courthouse News Service
    A bunch of these goons got hauled off in a police bus this morning for tearing down a fence and destroying property. The sad thing is they'll use this incident and Philadelphia's blind union support to make it look like the police and the developers are harassing their right to protest. They'll inevitably multiply.

To quote Jack Donaghy, "I haven't seen this many riled up dirt bags since CVS started to put the cold medicine behind the counter."

aro1419 is offline Member

A bunch of these goons got hauled off in a police bus this morning for tearing down a fence and destroying property. The sad thing is they'll use this incident and Philadelphia's blind union support to make it look like the police and the developers are harassing their right to protest. They'll inevitably multiply.

To quote Jack Donaghy, "I haven't seen this many riled up dirt bags since CVS started to put the cold medicine behind the counter."
    These people are animals. Asbestos and urine as tools for intimidation!?! That's actually dangerous (well at least the asbestos). How does anyone have any respect for Unions anymore because of this childish crap that they do? Who honestly makes a five year old hissy fit for not getting a job because there is better competition? Ughhhhh...
    P.S. I <3 30 Rock and that line

jizay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post
    These people are animals. Asbestos and urine as tools for intimidation!?! That's actually dangerous (well at least the asbestos). How does anyone have any respect for Unions anymore because of this childish crap that they do? Who honestly makes a five year old hissy fit for not getting a job because there is better competition? Ughhhhh...
    P.S. I <3 30 Rock and that line
    It's beyond time to break the unions. They are an ugly, barbarous relic, and it's not the least bit surprising that they've resorted to criminality.

aro1419 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    It's beyond time to break the unions. They are an ugly, barbarous relic, and it's not the least bit surprising that they've resorted to criminality.
    I personally think that the idea behind them is good, but at this point they have lost their focus on their original purposes and behave like violent toddlers.

jizay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post
    I personally think that the idea behind them is good, but at this point they have lost their focus on their original purposes and behave like violent toddlers.
    Good intentions pave the way to hell. They're trying to monopolize labor. That's not natural, so they will have to resort to violence and intimidation to keep the lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    They serve no productive purpose. We have OSHA and wage laws that address the things these unions were invented to tackle. They solely exist to intimidate law abiding developers into hiring them.

What do they expect to accomplish? Do they really think that Post Brothers is going to stop development, fire their staff, and hire the dirt bags that just p*ss bombed their property?

It's a shame that Post Brothers can't throw the book at the whole union. They're all about solidarity until one of them gets arrested.